These Low Carb recipes were taken from Atkins Indian Recipes, found on the Atkins site. They are great served together and both suitable for phase 1. They serve 6-8 people but as I'm only cooking for 2 adults and a tot, I often half the recipe and save any leftovers for lunch the next day.
Baked Aubergine Puree
170ml extra virgin olive oil
2 tsp chopped garlic
1 tbsp fresh coriander, chopped
1/8 tsp salt 1/8 tsp pepper
1. Preheat oven to 425°F/220C/Gas Mark 7.
2. Cut the aubergine on all sides with deep slashes and place in a baking pan. Roast until soft, 30 to 40 minutes. Set aside until cool enough to handle, about 15 minutes.
3. Peel aubergine and coarsely chop (or briefly pulse in a food processor or blender) and place in a medium bowl. Mix in oil, garlic and coriander. Salt and pepper to taste.
Total Carbs 2g
Spiced Indian Cauliflower
2 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
1⁄2 teaspoon ground ginger
1 small tomato, finely chopped
1 medium head cauliflower,separated into small florets
115ml Vegetarian broth
11⁄2 teaspoons salt
1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
1 tablespoon fresh coriander, chopped
1. In a large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Add cumin, coriander and ginger. Cook spices until fragrant, about 1 minute.
2. Add tomato and cauliflower to saucepan. Raise heat to high, add broth, salt and pepper and bring to a boil. Cover, turn heat down to low and simmer until cauliflower is tender but still very firm, about 7 minutes.
3. Remove lid and continue cooking until broth has evaporated and cauliflower is very tender, about 5 more minutes.
Total Carbs 3.5g